Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Bike-Slapped!


This is indicative of how a good portion of Portander's view biking:

And, for the most part, we are very evolved in bike etiquette and it feels civically safe and beneficial to get on a two-wheeler instead of backing the trusty Hummer out of the garage.

But as of last night: Cars 1, Bikes 0

BECAUSE, you can't have someone run up and SLAP you across the face if you are in a car (if the windows rolled up).

My friend Shannon and I were biking to a show at Dante's yesterday evening. Gorgeous September night, warm breezes, bright stars. We were waiting for a light to change on N. Vancouver when young woman waiting at the bus stop decided she knew Shannon and needed to slap her. Which she came over and did.

We were, of course, later than planned to the show. It felt appropriate the song we came in on was CWK’s Hospital Beds.

I don’t try to interpret meanings much, but I think the words are indicative of our time down here, in that, we are randomly thrown together, sickly and shambling along, doing what we can to bear with one another (or not) despite our terminal conditions:

I’ve got one friend laying across from me
I did not choose him, he did not choose me.
We got no chance of recovery,
Here in hospital,
joy and misery
joy and misery….

(The third line is up for grabs, can’t make out the first words—here in hospital? sharing hospital? German hospital? Figure it out for yourself here: http://www.myspace.com/coldwarkids)



http://www.coldwarkids.com/

No comments: