Tuesday, October 08, 2013

And So It Begins

In July, after some hand-wringing and hoping it wasn't too silly, I sent the email below to all the people I'd like to see in my tiny house (820 square feet of it!). If anyone did find it incredibly unappealing, they did not tell me so and are contending with my unappealing emails from time to time. The inconvenience of cyber politeness - yet another message cluttering up the old inbox, getting deleted along with the jokes from relatives you don't see often, the astral update from your uncle, and Grandma's note about the weather being fine.

First Responders Supper Club 

This is an invitation to the newly minted First Responders Supper Club. I was thinking of ways to gather people for dinner/supper on a semi-regular basis and the FRSC is what I came up with. For better or for worse!

I understand ‘supper’ and ‘club’, but what’s up with ‘first responder’? There is an attendee limit of six(-ish) for these suppers. This is due to the fact the house is small, not because I don’t want all of you all at once.

So! It goes like this: Once a month an email will be sent from the FRSC. It will state the date, time and THEME of a supper.
  1. You receive the invite.
  2. You like the theme.
  3. You are free on X date at X time.
  4. You are excited to bring your food item, your brilliance, your bad jokes.  
  5. You email your confirmation.

Once the attendee limit is reached, FRSC will send a cease-and-desist to the entire group letting them know the window of opportunity is closed. The six-ish first responders will receive more detailed information on what to bring and expect.

(You may be deeply grieved to be left out. You may have been slow on the draw but had an undeniably awesome element to bring to this particular supper. Tell me about it. We’ll see what we can do.)

If the theme is unappealing and, after one week,  there’s not enough interest, that month’s dinner is cancelled. SAD!

Themes? What do you mean by themes? Well, they are going to be all over the board but, hopefully, conducive to your happiness. They won’t necessarily be food-based, though there will never not be food. There will be game nights, there might be cocktail contests, topical conversations could happen. Themes may range so far as to break the barrier of supper and migrate off to square dancing or puddle-jumping. Who can tell what havoc may be wrought? Or, it may just be one of those evenings with good food that you did not have to make and a fire in the fireplace. Nothing bad about that. 

The first FRSC will probably take place at the end of August. Between now and then please do these two things: 1) let me know if you find this incredibly unappealing and I will remove you from the FRSC list. 2) let me know if you have any additional questions/concerns/suggestions and I will do my best to address them. 

FAQs about the FRSC
1. I have a friend who you probably don’t know but they need and deserve to come to X-themed supper. GREAT! Put them in your ‘attending’ response. 

2. I have the best idea for the FRSC - you probably haven’t thought of it because it could only come from my amazing head. GREAT! Tell me all about it! We’ll figure out when we can do it. Or, you can host your own FRSC, just please invite me. 

3. What are the exact dates and times for each FRSC event? It’s early days, my friend, so all is malleable, but the last the Friday of each month is the target. 7pm, probably. 

4. Can my children come? YES! Though, please be aware of the theme - cocktail contests may not be the best venue, or maybe they are - you will have to make that call. \

5. I can’t see who’s on your email list. What if it’s a bunch of weirdos? It is. It absolutely is.

No comments: