Monday, November 17, 2008

The Things She Carried

I visited my grandparents this last weekend. Whenever I get ready to leave for home again Grandma gears up to shower me with 'necessities'. Here is the list of what I took home this time:

1. Vintage milkglass salt and pepper shakers
2. Vintage cake tin
3. Cookies
4. Cookies for friends
5. An empty Andes Mints Christmas tin to put the cookies in
6. An apple
7. A washcloth (to pack between the glass objects and then I can use it later)
8. Four mini bread pans
9. Two jars of home-canned grape jelly
10. Aprons to give to my two nieces made for my mom and aunt when they were little
11. Vintage Christmas apron for myself because Grandma doesn't throw parties anymore
12. Bubble wrap and tissue paper

There is another list of all the items I turned down, but it is lengthier and will simply switch to the take-home list on my next visit. I staunched the flow somewhat by adamantly announcing that any more tins she gave me were going straight to the recycling when I got home.

We were in her basement looking through things she hadn't used in ages. She said she ought to have a yardsale but it takes so much work. I suggested giving it all to Goodwill.
Nope, no Goodwill in La Grande.
Salvation Army?

Nope, it closed. There is a store out in Elgin but they don't seem to care at all about what you bring, just tell you to set it on a table and they don't seem to care what happens to it!

A glance at the faded plastic flowers, broken ornaments and dusty mementos, and I couldn't blame them.

Well, Grandma, I ventured, what about just throwing it all away?

Gasp! Shudder! Heavens, no! I couldn't do that!

1 comment:

mostly ugly said...

tell her she could give it all to your friend mel :) especially those milk glass items!