Sunday, June 15, 2008

Exactly

I've dealt with numbers all my life, of course, and after a while you begin to feel that each number has a personality of its own. A twelve is very different from a thirteen, for example. Twelve is upright, conscientious, intelligent, whereas thirteen is a loner, a shady character who won't think twice about breaking the law to get what he wants. Eleven is tough, an outdoorsman who likes tramping through the woods and scaling mountains; ten is rather simpleminded, a bland figure who always does what he's told; nine is deep and mystical, a Buddha of contemplation. I don't want to bore you with this, but I'm sure you understand what I mean. It's all very private, but every accountant I've ever talked to has always said the same thing. Numbers have souls, and you can't help but get involved with them in a personal way.
The Music of Chance by Paul Auster


I've always thought that the number eight was the Buddha-like digit. But I'm too pleased with someone writing on the subject to quibble.

No comments: