Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Random Unreasonableness

There are ways products work, and then the way I subconsciously think they work, that, regardless of the incorrectness, I can't get rid of. This morning in our company's breakroom, I found myself reacting to such a circumstance:

The microwave is blinking unfinished seconds because someone didn't clear it back to START after heating their Lean Cuisine. OH NO!!!! murmurs down a corridor in my brain.

Why? Because in my mind I see masses of gears locked together, waiting to be released at the 'beep, beep' of a finished cycle. I know there is some kind of internal, mechanical strain going on inside that will wear it down eventually or cause an internal explosion if left unattended.

Yes, please do remind me it is all electrical, remind me of all the practical reasons why I am being ridiculous. I will nod, I will smile faintly with chagrin, I will maintain a very good humor about it. I will hope and pray you do not ask me if I think the microwave might not also be in pain and discomfort in its state of unrest. If you are flabbergasted at my gear visualizations, you really don't want to know about my anthropomorphic tendencies. It will trouble you. It troubles me.



I should go to this site more often: http://www.secretlifeofmachines.com/
Which would then lead me here: http://www.rudimentsofwisdom.com/

And then I would know all.

My siblings and I used to snicker at my grandma for yelling at us to be careful with the tv, dishwasher, microwave, 8-track, etch-a-sketch, or we might 'blow the tubes'. Like the old-time radios. At least I know where I'm heading....

.

No comments: